Google Stadia never quite set the video game world on fire with a paradigm shift to cloud game streaming, but it has quietly moved on as a useful service for those who value playing the latest games on less-than-capable hardware. The future remains a bit unclear, and Google is reportedly giving it less priority internally. While the future of the service may still nail its niche among gamers looking for free demos and trials that are easy to test out, what if you’ve already subscribed but think it’s time to enjoy this beta-style ride? to get off?
The good news is that canceling a $9.99 per month Google Stadia Pro subscription is pretty easy.
But maybe you’re already thinking to yourself, “What’s going to happen to my games?” Here are the basics of what happens if you cancel Stadia Pro and revert to a free account:
- You will lose access to games you claimed for free while you were a Stadia Pro member
- You can keep and continue to play all games purchased through the service
- You’re limited to a 1080p stream with stereo sound instead of 4K and 5.1 surround
That makes sense: the games you bought with real money don’t end up behind the paywall, and the “free” games work the same way as PlayStation Plus and Xbox Live Games with Gold today.
Expired Stadia Pro subscribers can still purchase and play additional games, even with a free account. After all, Google wants you to keep using and paying for Stadia in some way, although discounts on new games are an exclusive benefit for paying Stadia Pro members. If you later decide to resubscribe to Stadia Pro, the free games you initially claimed will also be returned to your account’s library.
So if you decide to cancel, you can still use Google Stadia as a free service. You play the paid games you already have at a lower resolution and with the option to resubscribe at any time to get back to your claimed free titles. And there’s not too much risk with canceling your Pro account, as you can always change your mind later if you miss it.
This post will walk you through the cancellation process in your Chrome browser or via the Stadia mobile app.
Cancel from Chrome
- Go to stadium.google.com and click on your avatar in the top right corner of the Chrome browser screen.
- In the drop-down menu, click Stadia Settings†
- Then press Purchases & Subscriptions†
- On the next screen you will see your purchases and subscriptions. To unsubscribe from Stadia Pro, click Sign out†
Canceling via the Stadia app
- After opening the Stadia app, tap the avatar in the top right corner of your phone’s screen.
- Click Purchases on the settings screen that appears.
- Then tap Sign out under the Stadia Pro box.
It’s that simple. You can continue to use Stadia Pro services until the end of your current billing cycle. After that, your account will go to a free version.
Update March 21, 2022, 3:58 PM ET: This article was originally published on February 14, 2020 and has been updated to reflect changes in Stadia.