Sachin Tendulkar is widely regarded in the cricket club as the ‘The God of Cricket’. Tendulkar has been a role model for many aspiring cricketers and international stars around the world.
India’s ‘Master Blaster’ played for the national team for 24 years and during this time he also created and broke many records. On the occasion of his 49th birthday, we check out 49 different records in Sachin Tendulkar’s pussy as we reminisce about the career of India’s greatest cricket icon in the game.
1. First person to score a double century in One Day Internationals.
2. Highest number of centuries – 49.
3. Highest Number of Fifties – 96.
4. Highest number of 150+ scores – five.
5. Most runs in a calendar year – 1,894 runs in 1998.
6. Most centuries in a calendar year – nine in 1998.
7. Most Centuries Against A Single Opponent – Nine ODI Centuries Against Australia.
8. Most limits (4s) scored – 2.016.
9. Most ODIs played by a cricketer – 463.
10. First player to score 10,000 to 18,000 ODI runs.
11. Most Man of the Match (MoM) awards – 62.
12. Most Man of the Match Awards in World Cup Matches – Nine.
13. Most Man of the Series (MoS) awards – 15.
14. Sachin scored over 1000 runs in a calendar year on seven separate occasions – 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2003 and 2007. This is a world record.
15. Highest partnership for any wicket in ODIs – 331 runs with Rahul Dravid (vs. New Zealand at Hyderabad on November 8, 1999).
1. Highest number of centuries in the history of Test cricket – 51.
2. The first and only cricketer to score 50 Test hundreds. Sachin achieved this feat against South Africa at the SuperSport Park in Centurion on December 19, 2010.
3. Leading run scorer in Test cricket – 15921.
4. Joint-fastest to reach 10,000-run milestone in Test cricket – 195 innings.
5. First man to reach 12,000 to 15,000 runs in Test Cricket.
6. Player with the most limits in Test Cricket – 200.
7. Most Test Centuries by an Indian Batter in a Calendar Year – Seven.
8. Most 150+ Scores in Test Cricket – 20.
9. Highest Man of the Match award for an Indian – 14.
10. 1,000+ test drives in a calendar year and six times – 1997, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2008 and 2010 – another world record.
11. Highest test score made by an Indian captain – 217 against New Zealand in the 1999/00 season. This record was then broken by MS Dhoni in February 2013, when he scored 224 against Australia.
12. The youngest Indian to pass a test from one hundred – 17 years and 197 days old.
13. Most number of century partnerships by a single pair in Test cricket – Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid on over 19 hundred stands. Another world record for the Master Blaster.
14. Most Overseas Test Hundreds – 29.
15. Any player other than Graham Gooch to score 12 hundred after the age of 35.
16. The only player in the world to have played in 200 Test matches.
1. The only player to have scored five Test centuries before the age of 20.
2. The only batter in the world to have scored more than 2,000 runs in World Cup games.
3. Most runs in a single World Cup – 673 in the 2003 World Cup.
4. The only cricketer to have a unique double score of 15,000+ ODI runs and 150+ ODI wickets.
5. First batter to score 50 international centuries (Test and ODI).
6. First batter to score 60 international centuries (Test and ODI).
7. The only batter to score 70 international centuries (Test and ODI).
8. The only player to have scored 30,000 international runs (Tests and ODIs).
9. The only player to have scored a hundred in his Ranji Trophy debut, Duleep Trophy debut and his Irani Trophy debut.
10. Most Hundreds in World Cups – Six.
11. In World Cup matches, Sachin has crossed the 50 mark 21 times (including his six World Cup centuries).
12. After combining Test, ODI, as well as T20 batting records and statistics, it comes as no surprise to see that Sachin has reached the most limits in international cricket.
13. Most Man of the Match and Man of the Series awards in international cricket (all three forms combined) – 76 (14 in Tests, 62 in ODIs).
14. Most awards for men of the series – 20 (five in tests, 15 in ODIs).
15. Sachin and Sourav Ganguly have been involved in over 38 partnerships in international cricket (all three forms combined). This is a world record.
16. 12,400 points scored by this pair is also a world record.
17. Between April 25, 1990 and April 24, 1998, Sachin Tendulkar represented India in a total of 239 matches (54 Tests and 185 ODIs) without missing a single match. To date, this remains a world record for the most number of consecutive matches for a team.
18. Sachin is the first and only player to reach 100 International Hundreds (Test and ODI). He reached this huge milestone on March 16, 2012 against Bangladesh in the fourth ODI of the Asian Cup in Mirpur. This was his 49th century in the game’s 50-over format and also his last in international cricket. By comparison, second on the list is former Australian skipper Ricky Ponting. Among current players, Virat Kohli comes closest with 70 centuries in his kitty.